Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Mumbai simply rocks. A person like me who comes here(from a North Indian sleepy town of patna and/or kanpur) typically goes through this experience in 3 different phases. First is the phase of "wow"...the awestruck feeling...watching all those cool buildings with Gothic architecture and all. Then comes the part where the person starts looking for a home(okie I didn't do that), traveling is nightmarish with auto rikshaws suck out tons of money from your pocket. This is the phase of desperation. City soon starts looking dull and ugly and dirty...desperation kicks in. Then comes the third phase...i.e. when I got my first paycheck and went around...even a salsa bar ...This is the phase when you start realizing that city is not being rude to you...it's just being practical. I mean people travel on these crowded locals not only to save money, but because it's the fastest way to travel. A friend came to city and we left at like 10 pm for Vashi (it's like on the other side of the Mumbai) and I went there, dropped her and came back...all in like 2 hours...it's almost 20 kms away from where I live...that means 40 kms in 2 hrs...by road it would take 4 hours. So if people say that this city is being heartless when it goes to work next day of the bomb blasts on the same locals ...I disagree...I think it's just being practical. Had you seen the 2 minute silence observed a few days after the blasts ..you'd have realized the kind of strength this city has. I have never seen a city stop for 2 minutes for a prayer.

No comments: